Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Keep it a Secret?

A real controversial topic in the area ethics is whether or not to keep certain information a secret. Many questions arise as a result of this controversy and there is usually a split in responses to this topic. Some may believe that it is unethical to keep information a secret and that if nothing is wrong, then nothing has to be kept a secret. Others believe that some information is better kept a secret because it has the potential to do more harm than good. These people may also believe that information that wants to get out will get out on its own.

In my media ethics class, I was in charge of facilitating a discussion group in which I had to prepare five questions to ask a group of students. One of my questions had to do with the wiki leaks. Here is what I asked: Does the American Public have the right to know what the government is doing at all times and doesn’t the release of the wiki leaks suggest that the government is not being truthful? The group all agreed that withholding information is a form of lying and technically the wiki leaks does imply that the government is not being truthful but we all agreed that the government witholds information for the greater good. In other words the government keeps certain information a secret if they feel that releasing the information will jeopardize things like safety.

In deciding whether or not to release information to the public, and especially in the case of the wiki leaks, I would use these criteria:

· Will releasing this information be beneficial to society?

· Will releasing this information put the citizen’s safety at risk?

· Will releasing this information put my personal reputation and safety at risk?

· What are the long and short term risks of withholding the information?

I personally believe that it’s ok to lie if the lie is done for the sole purpose of bringing a greater good. For e.g. I think it is ok for the American Government to withhold information (Lie) in order to protect society. There is no need for the American public to know everything the government does and is planning to do. Especially with all the wars and terrorist issues that are going on today. The government should only have to release information that is beneficial to the people and does not put anyone in harms way.

As I stated earlier, one should take into account their personal reputation and safety when deciding whether or not to release secret information. Julian Assange, who is the editor of Wiki leaks, has faced some serious criticism from the American public and as a result his personal reputation and safety have been jeopardized. He has been called a high tech terrorist; information terrorist; and threats have been made on his life. All of this has come as a result of his wiki leaks.

Hypothetically, if I was to become a media professional, I believe that I will find myself entangled in secrets. In this profession I would be seeking out and dealing with a lot of information and because of this, I am bound to come across some secret information. Whether or not I would release the information will be determined by some thorough ethical analysis and thought with the greater good in mind.


1 comment:

  1. I couldnt agree more, i believe that in rough times aka when or when not to blow the whistle i think you have to take yourself and your family into account and put them and yourself before anything else.

    ReplyDelete